Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Crap. Visa Problems

August 16, 2010

I received a Visa update from the British Embassy here in Los Angeles yesterday. It seems that I had read the details of the visa requirements incorrectly, and my Visa application to the UK is in deep jeopardy of getting rejected.

I freaked out the entire day and night yesterday - I sent in an additional document of the financial aid package I received from Penn hoping that it would suffice the funds requirement for the Tier 4 General Student Visa to the UK, but honestly I am not sure if that will work.  Worst case scenario, I would be entering the UK as a student visitor and therefore getting my visa at the Heathrow Airport on the day of my arrival, but I'd still rather not have to deal with the anxiety.

In a way, I'm glad that this problem was detected relatively early, since I still have time before arriving to the UK to figure out things.  Now that I've calmed down from the incident, all I have to do is wait until the end of the week and see if I'd be granted the Tier 4 Visa or would have to be extra prepared to enter as a Student Visitor on the day of my arrival at Heathrow.

This is extra frustrating since I had to somehow provide proof that I had funds ready BEFORE the date of my application - so despite the fact that I have it ready in a bank account right now, it would not meet the requirements.  It's also frustrating because I have so many other things to worry about including signing up for classes (which I still haven't done and will not receive the information to do so until the end of this month), figuring out cell phone usage, as well as bank account stuff.

I'm praying and hoping that the Penn financial aid package letter would suffice, and I won't have to deal with more Visa stuff on the day of my arrival.  I have definitely learned my lesson though - and it's a good lesson to be learned.