Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Locust at Midnight

In the past few days, I have barely spent any time in my room. Literally, I get back at around 5 or 6am and sleep for a couple of hours, only to trek off around 9am and not to return until 5am the next morning.

Today, right around midnight, as I was making the trip across campus from a friend's room to Meyerson Hall, I noticed something that everyone always did at this hour on Locust Walk: glance through the darkness to see if there is someone you recognize on the other side of the road.

I am not sure if we normally do this all throughout the day, and it is only more noticeable at night, or if it is some strange phenomenon that occurs when Locust Walk isn't so busy, and there is enough space in between people to slow down and look at each face on the other side of the road.

And even as I noticed myself doing it, I could not stop but glance over to occasionally awkwardly meet the other person's eyes, only to quickly turn away and focus on the person behind him. For me at least, I think it is a sort of a relief from the fact that although I am walking at such an odd hour where "normal" people ("normal" defined as not overambitious college kids) are asleep, I am not alone on the long trek back to studying. I think it is also partly in hopes to find a familiar face on the other side, just because at that hour I am often frustrated due to the workload and want to just hear the warmth and comfort of a familiar voice.

It's an interesting road, this college business. As I have expressed to various friends before in reflection, I think I will miss these days - even the ones filled with complete frustration and utter pain of inadequacy. We only get one chance each day to spend it to its best; likewise, we only get one chance to take advantage of the proximity that college provides to build relationships and unforgettable memories.

Above all, I am thankful that I have people that suffer through with me during these ridiculously late study nights (more like, everyday). Time is flying by way too quickly. I hope this semester will go by slowly; "I want to smell the flowers as I make my decline".