Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Food for the Soul

July 7, 2010



I grabbed these three books at B&N a few days ago, and got them for less than $15!  (I can't remember the exact price).  They had their "Buy 2 BN Classics, Get 1 Free" deal going on, and I have BN membership so I was able to get the brand new copies for relatively cheap.  I am going to start Bleak House very soon and hopefully get around to the other two books, too.  It's been absolutely exhausting nowadays - the job at the learning center is getting more hectic than ever, and my internships are starting to pick up speed as well!

My trip to Westside Pavilion that resulted in my buying of these three novels resulted in a few revelations: 1) the parking in Westside Pavilion, although free, SUCKS.  That parking lot is SO confusing.  I got lost trying to look for my car even though I made sure I remembered the way I entered the mall and the parking level & number...and then while trying to get out of the parking lot, I went the wrong way in a turn (there were NO signs whatsoever) and then I had to back all the way back with all these cars waiting and...it just sucked.  2) Friends are like wine, even the ones you weren't that close to back then.  3) I need to be around people that like reading.

I met up with an old high school friend that is leaving to join the U.S. military tomorrow - we had tried to meet up, like, five times in the past three weeks but something always prevented it from happening (mostly due to my really bad memory and my recent sickness).  Although we didn't really do much during our short meeting, it was meaningful.  It's so nice to just meet up, not do anything and just catch-up with life.  Childhood friends - the people that knew me before college - have a way of touching a completely different side of me.  They know me in such a different level.  I just can't explain it.  There's less pretense, more realness.

In my little trip to BN with him, we enjoyed short conversations and shared book recommendations.  We discovered that we both adored Les Miserables and enjoyed Dickens.  We talked about Orwell, Voltaire, books that made us think, book that we thought were lacking.  I think these types of conversations feed my soul.  I need more of that in my life.