Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Visa, Sickness & the Bucket List

July 16, 2010

I finally got cracking down to applying for my visa for the UK today, and it was the biggest pain in the butt!  If it weren't for Penn Abroad's detailed step-by-step instructions, I really would have forgotten a bunch of documents.  I think it's quite ridiculous how there is an online application, and then an in-person interview, two different paper applications, and then a bunch of documents to attach to prove claims that I made in the applications.

I thought, "there's gotta be an easier way to do this."  I wonder if in the future everything would be so computerized that visas would be very simple.  But then again, how would all these documents overcome the cultural and systematic differences between nations?  I even had difficulty with the whole date-first-and-then-month ordeal.  Better get used to it, I suppose.  Although I filled out most of the initial work today, I still have to take care of a bunch of stuff before finally sending off the visa application packet in the mail - visiting the bank, taking a passport picture, going in person for an interview - ahhh!  I'm just crossing my fingers that all of these stuff can get processed in time - I'm a bit anxious because I've lost time trying to get my CAS number from Cardiff (it got lost in transition - twice - and I finally received it last night, as opposed to a month and a half ago).

On another point, I have been feeling sickly for the past (almost) month now.  It's really getting ridiculous.  I hate feeling this way constantly.  The worst part is that I have no idea what's wrong!!  At first, I thought I had the flu, and then it turned out not to be the flu.  I was just constantly dizzy and feeling faint - all the time.  I thought I was starting to get better, and then yesterday, I woke up with an inflamed throat and canker sores all over my gums and tongue.  It's gotten to a point where I cannot do work at all - after a brief internship meeting in the morning today, I returned home and slept until late into the afternoon because I just could not work any longer.

I visited the doctor last week and took a blood test, so hopefully those results will come in with a diagnosis on the problem.

A couple friends and I have been recently talking about creating a Bucket List, and so I began to brainstorm some stuff.  This list is by no means complete, and I'll update it as I think of more things...but here it is for now.

Elisa's Bucket List (so far) - in no particular order


1.   Fall in love & never, ever let go.
2.   Go to an H.O.T. concert
3.   Go on a short-term mission
4.   Go skydiving
5.   Hike the Half-Dome
6.   Fish a shark
7.   Learn to swim
8.   Go swimming with dolphins
9.   Watch a solar eclipse with someone special
10.                 Go on a road trip
11.                 Donate to a university in the form of a scholarship
12.                 Open a bakery
13.                 Travel around Europe
14.                 Visit a pyramid
15.                 Go to the Great Wall of China
16.                 Have children
17.                 Cook a Thanksgiving meal
18.                 Finish the BBC 100 book list
19.                 Be in a musical
20.                 Play the piano at a church
21.                 Study abroad
22.                 Pet a baby tiger

It's kind of pleasant to know that #21 will be crossed off at the end of this year! :)